About the Job
We’re looking for an experienced Synthetic Biologist (m/f/d) to join one of our Portfolio companies and lead the development of high-impact strain engineering,
In your day-to-day work, you’ll focus on solving complex biological challenges, where you will report directly to the CSO, and have the opportunity to contribute to various projects.
Join our portfolio company: A British BioTech company focused on producing sustainable molecules to reduce global reliance on fossil fuels and intensive farming. The startup's groundbreaking technologies integrate synthetic biology with machine learning robotics to streamline R&D.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop technical and business risk profiles for future product pipelines. This is a great opportunity to apply scientific knowledge to analyse and then drive economic value.
- As the Project owner you will be responsible for key aspects of projects, including specific business needs and figuring out the right solutions and techniques to address them
- Train and oversee junior synthetic biology team members
- Integrate closely with a highly innovative data-science and machine-learning team to build and analyse large data sets
- Present and depict the rationale of findings in simple, engaging and easy to understand business terms to a diverse group of co-workers and clients
- Benchmark the synthetic biology pipeline modules, by increasing the complexity of our Venture’s next-generation DNA assembly processes
- Optimise the automated, high-throughput synthetic biology assemblies to increase output and maximise sampling in the combinatorial space
- Apply strong expertise in analysis of large biological data sets
- Build novel pathways to valuable chemical products using our next generation pipeline
- Drive the automation pipeline to generate and screen 1000s of prototype strains
- Benchmark high-throughput screens to increase speed, throughput and accuracy of data collection
- Develop and integrate high-throughput analytics techniques and preparations, including cutting edge sequencing, omics prep and DNA/metabolite purification steps
- Work with the computational team to integrate the automation steps with computational tools to enable monitoring and experiment tracking
- Extensive experience in molecular biology techniques, particularly when applied to E. coli
- In-depth knowledge of next-generation DNA assembly techniques, combinatorial assemblies and/or high-throughput molecular biology and sequencing techniques
- Ability to build metabolic pathways to a variety of model and non-model organisms
- A working understanding of robotic liquid handling for molecular biology
- Driven to recognise and generate solutions to problems large and small
- Strong communication skills in English and the ability to describe complex data and ideas to various audiences
- A PhD in a relevant molecular biology-related field, ideally an additional 3+ years work experience in industry, academia and/or Startup environment
Please note that we are looking for support in the LONDON office of our portfolio company. Eligibility to work within the UK is required as well.
Benefits and Perks
- Join a team of outstanding academic professionals at the forefront of scientific discovery in the field of molecular biology
- Make a true impact together with like-minded people who are passionate about leveraging technology in service of the environment
- Well-equipped and modern office space in the heart of London
- Flexible working arrangements and a positive work-life balance
- Develop your skills and take on responsibilities from day one
- Be part of a professional network within the Project A family, with access to regular events, knowledge sharing, and meetups
Apply below and become a part of our success story!
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Project A is committed to diverse and equal opportunities hiring for all – applicants, candidates, and employees alike. We value humans – with all our glorious multifaceted backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences – and look forward to your application.